· make it more difficult and risky for abused aliens to self-petition for immigration relief;
· require that the statute of limitations has not lapsed on the crime embodied in the abuse;
· require that the crime embodied in the abuse is actively under investigation or prosecution;
· require the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to issue a report on possible fraud in petitions and self-petitions by abused aliens for U and T visas;
· repeal the provision in current law that makes it possible for "U" visa recipients to adjust to LPR status;
· provide exceptions to confidentiality promised to trafficking victims in order to permit information sharing "for national security purpose[s]";
· require DHS to consider statements made by the abuser in cases where an abused alien is seeking
These are harmful provisions that will make it more difficult for abused immigrants as well as the law enforcement community. The House is prepared to vote on this bill any day now so if you want your voice to be heard, now is the time to call your Representatives to tell them not to leave victims unprotected.
The Senate has already passed a different version of the VAWA laws that is less harmful but does propose to make a third time DUI conviction an aggravated felony which would subject individuals to immediate deportation.
Sharma-Crawford Attorneys At Law, LLC.
515 Avenida Cesar E Chavez
Kansas City, MO 64108
The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel requires all Missouri lawyers to notify all recipients of e-mail that: (1) e-mail communication is not a secure method of communication; (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or by you may be copied and held by various computers through which it passes as it goes from sender to recipient; (3) persons not participating in our communication may intercept our communications by improperly accessing your computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to either of us through which the e-mail passes. I am communicating to you via e-mail because you have indicated your consent to receive communications via this medium. If you change your mind and want future communications to be sent in a different fashion, please advise me so immediately.